Sunday, March 18, 2012

The New Orleans Creole Restaurant – (Pioneer Square) Seattle, Washington

I admit,  I am always skeptical and when it came to this restaurant, I didn't think twice about it. The New Orleans was empty on a Friday night, and to me that's a warning sign. However seeing nothing else, I decided to give this place a shot. Three-and-a-half hours later I left, to say the least, I had to eat my words, no pun intended.

After scanning the menu for twenty minutes I decided on the ‘Steak Creole’, a New York style steak, cut into strips then sautéed and simmered in Creole sauce. Along with that I received a deliciously warm corn fritter and a chilled dinner salad, and as a side you have the option between red beans and rice or vegetables. I don't say this often, but this is one of the most memorable dinners I have ever had. In addition to great food, you get all this for around twelve dollars, an excellent deal for a flavorful meal. Of course I wouldn’t forget dessert. ‘The New Orleans’ has a very small dessert selection of just the basic pies, banana pudding, key lime, chocolate-mousse, and cheesecake, with each one at five dollars. This may seem like a lot, but you get what you pay for; a wonderful piece of pie that will top-off any of their fantastic meals. I tried each one and let me tell you, you will be hard-pressed to find a better piece of pie. And just about everything on the menu is around four to fifteen dollars, an amazing deal for Seattle.

I do have one complaint though. I had a very slow and absent-minded waiter serving me and unfortunately it did affect my dining experience. However I later learned he was a trainee and I went back a day later and the service was fantastic. That aside, I still have to say, they’re pretty awesome…Now the building itself has a hole in the wall feel. Brick, dark lighting, and a prominent stage right up front for live jazz and blues, something ‘The New Orleans’ doesn’t lack, considering the fact that a local band plays there every night. The music is a bit loud to talk over but its nice to sit back and watch them play a song, and after each song there is a five-minute break, so you can have short conversations on the side.

So if your visiting downtown Seattle and looking for Cajun, live music or just something different, I strongly recommend giving ‘The New Orleans Creole Restaurant’ a try, because there’s nothing like listening to live music while eating a good meal, two things the New Orleans knows best.


114 First Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 622-2563

No comments:

Post a Comment